The ANC regional conference in Nelson Mandela Bay, that was supposed to have taken place in January, has again been postponed, the party’s Eastern Cape secretary, Oscar Mabuyane, said on Wednesday.
Mabuyane said although they had managed to arrived at the required 70% of general branch meetings, the party now needed to focus solely on the local elections.
“We have taken a decision to review our earlier position because of the time frame. We are now hard at work for the local elections. The conference may take place at the end of December,” he told News24.
Mabuyane said the conference had been postponed several times last year because they had not met the 70% branch requirement to conduct the regional conference. The ANC then scheduled its conference for the end of January.
“The region has made 70% of its branch meetings, but when you have disputes, you must resolve disputes. There is an issue of verification post branch general meetings, then after it normally takes us three months to prepare for the regional conference.
“You can see that does not give us time to prepare for the local elections which is why the Provincial Executive Committee has decided to hold [of with] the conference.”
Mabuyane said the region was also preparing for the ANC’s national manifesto launch in April.
Lizeka Tandwa, News24
Latest posts by News24Wire (see all)
- More Space for Malabar Cemetery - 12 July 2023
- Marinda Mills trial date set - 15 March 2016
- MP and official crash into one another - 15 March 2016
- St Albans prison warder kidnapped, raped by escapee - 10 March 2016
- No Witnesses to daylight killing - 19 February 2016
