The Boardwalk Multi Media Musical Fountain experience was switched on for the first public performance last night, 15 December.
The Longhair and I were invited to pop along for the event and treated to supper at the El Greco Restaurant before the switch on – the Sun International and Emfuleni hob nobs got prime seating on the second floor of El Greco which has a great deck overlooking the lake.
At supper we sat with some MVG’s who had been comped accommodation in the new 5 star hotel and they were suitably impressed with the accommodation and gadgets.
The Boardwalk was packed for the switch on and the Longhair said after the first show that now Port Elizabeth had a signature attraction that would surely translate into more feet passing through the Boardwalk and Port Elizabeth – if the Longhair says so, then you had better believe it! And, so impressed was I that I uploaded images DOUBLE normal size for your enjoyment.
The Multi Media Musical Fountain experience will have shows every day of the week at 8:00 and 10:00 pm and every Friday, Saturday and Public Holiday at 8:00, 9:00 and 10:00 pm.
By the way, Colin, when we got home it was deathly quiet – not as quiet as in Theescombe but still quiet enough!
The new five-star hotel and international convention centre at The Boardwalk Casino and Entertainment World on the Port Elizabeth beach-front opened for business as part of a billion rand investment by Emfuleni Resorts, the Eastern Cape’s biggest leisure empowerment company.
“This is the largest single entertainment and tourism investment in the Nelson Mandela Bay Metro, and is a vote of confidence in the region,” said Emfuleni Resorts chairperson Bongi Siwisa.
Emfuleni, which also owns the Fish River Sun, has an effective BBBEE shareholding of 52,1%, with an Eastern Cape-based BBBEE shareholding of some 35%.
Sun International South Africa owns the remainder of the shares in the company, and manages both properties.
The Boardwalk Casino was opened in October 2001, and in September 2009 Emfuleni Resorts was granted the rights by the Eastern Cape Gambling and Betting Board to continue operating the casino for another 15 years.
A new smoking casino, which was built as part of the billion rand investment, was opened in the middle of 2012.
The five-star hotel, which opened to the public on December 14, 2012, has 140 luxury sea-facing rooms, along with a 3 000 square metre international-standard Convention Centre, as well as an Africology health spa and restaurants.
Situated just 10 minutes away from the Port Elizabeth International Airport and the main freeway leading into the beach front, The Boardwalk Hotel and Convention Centre in one of the the most accessible in South Africa.
International star Jonathan Butler will be performing in the convention centre on December 20 and 22.
“Jonathan was so impressed with the facility that he booked it even before it was completed,” says Siwisa.
Other improvements to the property include additional retail space, and a Multi Media Musical Fountain experience, which was switched on for the first public performance on December 15.
It is overlooked by a selection of restaurants, all of which are either new or were upgraded by the operators.
They include national franchises such as Spur, Wimpy, Dulces, Leonardos and Squires, as well as most of the top fast food brands.
According to Siwisa, the construction of the new hotel, convention centre and other facilities “has delivered substantial benefits to the Eastern Cape, and created hundreds of jobs during the post-World Cup slump in construction.
“The intention right from the beginning of the R1-billion upgrade was that Boardwalk be a fully inclusive project, and it has delivered substantial benefits to the Eastern Cape.
The combined average of the tender BBBEE percentage at the Boardwalk is approximately 83%.
In addition to the hundreds of construction jobs it has supported, the investment into The Boardwalk has created an estimated 480 new jobs, she says. such as Spur, Wimpy, Dulces, Leonardos and Squires, as well as most of the top fast food brands.
According to Siwisa, the construction of the new hotel, convention centre and other facilities “has delivered substantial benefits to the Eastern Cape, and created hundreds of jobs during the post-World Cup slump in construction.
“The intention right from the beginning of the R1-billion upgrade was that Boardwalk be a fully inclusive project, and it has delivered substantial benefits to the Eastern Cape.
The combined average of the tender BBBEE percentage at the Boardwalk is approximately 83%.
In addition to the hundreds of construction jobs it has supported, the investment into The Boardwalk has created an estimated 480 new jobs, she says.
Alan Straton
Latest posts by Alan Straton (see all)
- Soccer Laduma Rolls Out Opening-Weekend Premier League Betting Coverage for SA Fans - 23 August 2026
- What Return Are You Really Getting From Your New Business Tools? - 23 August 2026
- The Cape 1000 Roars Back: South Africa’s Most Beautiful Drive Returns in March 2027 - 23 August 2026
- HPV Vaccine: Answers To Parents’ Most Common Questions - 21 August 2026
- Martin Vermaak Attorneys Backs Families Through Divorce - 21 August 2026











Extremely disappointed, my daughter here for a short holiday and this is our second visit to see the fountain show. We are here tonight and, once again, we are told, due to technical reasons, the show will not be on. Not Good Enough. I found nowhere on the website that said the show would not be shown. What is going on? I have to query this statement.