In 1999 AB Marine began escorting international tourists on dive tours to follow, experience and film the Sardine Run. AB Marine is born out of that experience and is one of only two licensed Boat Based Whale and Dolphin Watching Eco Tourism outfits in Algoa Bay. Our license allows us to approach whales and dolphins to within 50 meters – considerably closer than the 300 metre exclusion zone for non-licensed sea going vessels.
We are Whale and Dolphin Watching in Algoa Bay.
AB Marine acknowledges that one cannot guarantee sightings of cetaceans. But, we do offer a ‘ComeAgainTee‘ – should you fail to see Whales or Dolphins on any of our designated Whale and Dolphin Watching trips we will issue you with a voucher inviting you to ‘Come Again’ on us.
What makes us stand out is the following:
- We operate the largest Whale Watching vessel in Algoa Bay with the smallest number of guests – capped at a maximum of 12
- 95% of the time we have three staff present – personal and attentive service from qualified Marine Tour Guides
- Our vessel is the only one with onboard toilet facilities
- A comfortable upper deck offers unsurpassed views of the action
- A fully enclosed cabin and sheltered aft area offers great protection from the elements
- Our qualified guides are fluent in German, English, Afrikaans and (on request) Xhosa
- We are the only operator offering a ‘ComeAgainTee’ voucher should we fail to sight Whales or Dolphins on your trip
- Years of experience and world recognised staff offer a wide range of knowledge.
- We offer a maximum of two trips per day and are very flexible in terms of duration and ‘getting the shot’
- Rainer and Silke have years of experience escorting World renowned photographers and film crews (e.g. National Geographic and BBC)
- A trip with AB Marine is personal, comfortable, longer than most and action packed.
AB Marine’s Three Offerings:
- Boat Based Whale and Dolphin Watching – visit our web site for pricing
- Create your own adventure – book the entire vessel and we will create an adventure tailored to your needs and desires – enquire for price.
- Volunteer Programme – enquire for price
(Book online – pre-booking essential):
1. Whale and Dolphin Watching
We are licensed to take you as close as 50 meters to whales and dolphins. On departing from the Port, we will go directly to the the last known sightings of dolphins and last position of Humpback Whales, Southern Right Whales, Brydes Whales or Killer Whales. Once sighted we will spend up to 1.5 hours with the animals watch their behaviour and explain to you in detail what we are observing! Algoa Bay is unique and hosts whales all year long! Water and snacks will be provided.
2. Create your own adventure
AB Marine will tailor a unique adventure or cruise just for you – tell us what you want and we will create a special experience for you and your loved ones, your office party, media launch, client appreciation event, bucket list item – imagine an African Sunset at sea – or whatever takes your fancy.
3. Volunteer programme
Internships on offer from AB Marine.
PLEASE NOTE: As we are reliant on the weather and wild animals AB Marine cannot guarantee any sightings. AB Marine will do our best to show you as much as possible, however there are days when dolphins and whales are to far out and beyond our reach. No refund will be given if you, on that very rare occasion, do not see dolphins or whales. If your booked and paid for trip is cancelled due to inclement weather you will get a full refund or an alternative date.