Attention Port Elizabeth jazz fans!! NMMU Jazz Studies lecturer/pianist John Edwards will be performing from 17h00 – 19h00 on Sunday 11 December in the Barn at the Port Elizabeth Opera House with a band that has been designed to showcase the skills of senior students from the NMMU Music Department.
In this regard, Grant Allison (bass) and Thoba Goba (drums) need no introduction. In parallel with their studies they have been performing professionally for several years and are well known on the local jazz scene. John, Grant and Thoba have already performed several concerts together – including a memorable performance with Titi Luzipo at the Barn in December 2015.
NMMU Music Department graduate and alto saxophonist Curtis Kettledas will also be performing with the band and repertoire will include Edwards’ original compositions and works by local South African jazz artists such as Feya Faku, Abdullah Ibrahim and McCoy Mrubata. Contact Cingiwe Skosana or Nomgcobo Mkize on 041 585 1300 (Mon – Fri office hours only) or on 061 996 0200 / 073 190 6769.
Jazz’Afro Sundays @ The Barn is produced by the PE Opera House, funded by the Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality and Eastern Cape Department of Sport, Recreation, Arts and Culture.
Latest posts by Alan Straton (see all)
- A ‘War’ that Old Men Cannot Escape Fighting in - 7 April 2020
- Municipalities warned against cutting water to residents - 6 April 2020
- Create the space to implement positive outcomes in the midst of a global pandemic - 6 April 2020
- Murder suspects arrested in Walmer - 5 April 2020
- Lockdown sees a decrease in serious and violent crimes - 5 April 2020