Corona JBay Open: Smith and Toledo All Fired Up
Jordy Smith from South Africa was the runner-up at the Oi Rio Pro on the weekend. The event was won by young Brazilian surfer Filipe Toledo. It was an exciting final, with the Brazilian notching up two great scores right in the beginning of the heat, and with the South African playing catch-up for the remainder of the heat. In the end Smith couldn’t do enough to catch up to the Brazilian, who took the win for the second year in a row. Smith won the event last in 2013.
The next event on the World Surf League (WSL Championship Tour (CT) is the Corona JBay Open, set to take place in Jeffreys Bay from 9 – 22 July. Toledo is the defending champion, having won it in 2018 as well as in 2017. Smith won this event in 2010 and 2011. Both surfers are placed high on the Jeep Leaderboard – the WSL CT rankings board – with Toledo in third, and Smith right behind in in fourth, and a victory at the Corona JBay Open could easily allow any of these two surfers to jump into the lead.
The Corona Jbay Open is the anchor event of the Jbay Winterfest, taking place from 6 – 22 July in JBay, including trail running, fishing skins, live music, comedy festival, bowls tournament, funduro and more.
The following two tabs change content below.
This author is a 'catch-all' for occasional articles and letters written to MyPE. The Author of each article can be found in the signature at the bottom of each individual article.
Latest posts by Port Elizabethan (see all)
- Aero L39 ZU-DEW – Port Elizabeth - 22 July 2019
- Diving Gannets in Algoa Bay - 22 July 2019
- JBay Winterfest: Festival Wraps Up With Corona Open JBay and Vibe In The Park – MyPR.co.za - 22 July 2019
- Beach to bush: Experiences within a 50 km radius of Port Elizabeth – Featured Blog - 22 July 2019
- PE Business News: These are the most expensive South African cities to live in - 22 July 2019