Nelson Mandela Bay Mayor Athol Trollip has committed his administration to eradicate the bucket system by the end of 2017.
“Today I met with the SAHRC and raised a number of issues relating to ongoing investigations into service delivery backlogs in Nelson Mandela Bay, ” said Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality Executive Mayor Athol Trollip.
“Investigative delays by the SAHRC over many years have compromised the human rights of, and administrative justice for, the people of this Metro.
“The SAHRC have agreed to conclude the matter relating to the investigation into sanitation conditions in Walmer Township and misleading replies by NMB officials under the former administration’s watch.
“The Commission has assured me that the complete report will be finalised at the end of this month.
“I have committed to addressing the NMB sanitation crisis by eradicating all bucket toilets in established communities by the end of 2017.
“Both myself and the Eastern Cape SAHRC commissioner committed to a more responsive and engaging relationship going forward, consisting of prompt investigation and timeous comprehensive reporting,” said Mayor Trollip.
Latest posts by NMB Communications (see all)
- John Tallant Road Expansion Opens - 30 August 2019
- Bay traffic law enforcement bolstered with revival of motorcycle unit - 14 August 2019
- These Areas Could Experience Water Cuts Tomorrow - 13 August 2019
- Burial Society to the Rescue - 8 August 2019
- Women to Join in Mayoral Charity Golf Day - 2 August 2019