A number of Motherwell residents suffered a major blow in March this year when Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality demolished their illegally built shacks.
The DA does not support illegally built settlements, however, in the case of this eviction, their shacks were burnt down together with a majority of their belongings and they were left with nowhere to go.
Currently, some of these residents are now staying with community members in homes around the neighborhood while others stay in an open local stadium.
The group of residents who were staying in the stadium were arrested on Sunday morning at around 02h00, amongst those was a disabled boy, aged 10.
They were released on Monday morning and are still looking for a place to stay while still sleeping at the stadium.
In total there are about 60 people sleeping at the stadium, the majority of them being women and children, with the youngest child just over a year in age and the oldest woman around 80 years of age.
In conjunction with the NMMU Rotary club, the DA Youth would like to take this opportunity to call on the community at large to assist with donating some basic necessities for this community such as blankets, nappies, clothes, tinned foods, etc.
We will also be accepting cash donations. The banking details are as follow:
- Bank: Nedbank
- Account Name: Democratic Alliance
- Account Number: 1263006752
- Branch Code: 126317
- Reference: DAY cares
All donations are to be dropped off at the DA Provincial Office (41 Havelock Street, Central) at anytime during office hours.
The relationship with the NMMU Rotary club follows a resolution that was taken at the Federal DA Youth Congress, as to encourage our branches and their members to get involved with Civic Organisations, thereby increasing the influence our youth have on improving the state of our communities.
Latest posts by Port Elizabethan (see all)
- Crime-ridden Kuyga Primary School burgled seven times in one month - 19 August 2019
- Port: Elizabeth Warren’s attack on the Dakota Access Pipeline is why so many Republicans tolerate Donald Trump – Port Elizabeth in the News - 19 August 2019
- The Bosasa Billions: The Watsons and the arson charges – Port Elizabeth Business News - 19 August 2019
- Baby found dumped in bin on Port Elizabeth beachfront – Port Elizabeth in the News - 19 August 2019
- Guest review from: Jan Pelser – Featured Blog - 19 August 2019