From August 3rd to the 5th, Woodridge College and Preparatory School will be staging David Kramer and Taliep Petersen’s award-winning District Six, The Musical at the Savoy Theatre.
First performed 30 years ago, District Six, The Musical is a story set against the forced removal of a community by the apartheid regime, and celebrates and recreates some of the vibrant musical culture that was part of the 1960s District Six.
“When I chose this particular musical almost a year ago, I had no idea how relevant and meaningful it would end up being for us,” comments Caren Bestbier, Head of Dramatic Arts at Woodridge College and Director of the production. “Drama has the potential to heal and teach, and I believe that the decision to continue with the show after the recent fire will only strengthen the famous Woodridge spirit.”
A total of 29 pupils are part of the cast, while auditions were open to everyone, from the Preparatory School to the College. “The entire cast is excited about the curtain being raised on August 3rd,” adds Bestbier. “They have put so much energy, passion and soul into their rehearsals, and have drawn on the recent tragedy at the school to bring depth to their performances.”
Virgil Matrass, Choral Director and voice and piano teacher at Woodridge has provided musical direction, while Chireen Ferreira is the production’s choreographer.
Tickets are currently on sale through Computicket, opening night tickets are R110 and include refreshments. Further performances are R95 for children and adults, and R85 for pensioners.
Show dates and times:
- Thursday, August 3rd, 7pm
- Friday, August 4th, 7pm
- Saturday, August 5th, 2pm
- Saturday, August 5th, 7pm
Author: Kimberley Clare Ogden
Latest posts by Port Elizabethan (see all)
- PE Flying Squad hot on the heels of criminals: Port Elizabeth – Port Elizabeth Business News - 15 September 2019
- BWW Review: One of Kansas City’s Best Dramas MASTER HAROLD…AND THE BOYS Opens at City Stage – Port Elizabeth in the News - 15 September 2019
- Coming Through? - 15 September 2019
- PE police dog, Jack apprehends to ATM robbers – Port Elizabeth in the News - 15 September 2019
- Running Red Detail - 15 September 2019