No visit to Port Alfred should exclude a trip to Beavers Pies. On this last occasion I ordered a Monkeygland Pie and then paused thinking to myself that maybe I shouldn’t be using the word ‘Monkey’. One struggles to keep up with all the ‘new’ words that have become taboo as a result of being linked to a racist mindset!
So, in our politically charged environment leading up to Municipal Elections, we attempt to give you some other words for monkey and the variations thereof:
- Monkeygland – Spicy Primate Sauce
- Monkey – Joyful, Intelligent primate
- Monkeyed – Used to be joyful
- Monkeying – Attempting to be joyful
- Monkeypod – Albizia saman (look it up!)
- Monkeyshine – Reflective Shenanigans
- Monkeynastics – Mininastics
- Monkey Bars – St Albans Specials
- Monkeypality – Municipality
- Cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey – Cold enough to make racists huddle together with the object of their vitriol
- Monkey house – Parliament prior to 1994
- Monkey business – What political parties are up to
- Monkey wrench – Hairy Sabotage
- Monkey see, monkey do – Doggie pee, doggie poo
- More fun than a barrel of monkeys – More fun than watching politicians suck up to the media
- Well, I’ll be a monkey’s uncle! – Well, I’ll be a politician!
- Monkey’s wedding – An African Blessing
- A monkey on one’s back – Like being accused of racism.
This follows a similar incident last week where I was chatting on Twitter and talking about the NMMU Game Reserve and it was pointed out that there are a lot of monkeys on the grounds – I admit, I felt a little bit wary to continue that part of the conversation. Damn the politicians for continually highlighting our differences and further dividing the citizens of South Africa in this way.
I challenge all citizens and MEDIA to join me and sign the pledge to go RACE FREE IN FEBRUARY.
Latest posts by Alan Straton (see all)
- Name this Game Lodge in the Eastern Cape - 18 November 2019
- Like an Alien UFO Blasting Heavy Metal Above your Home - 17 November 2019
- Backlinks – Huh? When are they a “Good Thing?” - 17 November 2019
- Is the Dairy Industry Horrific? - 17 November 2019
- Watching This Video Broke My Heart - 17 November 2019