If you have ever wanted to check food manufacturer claims with regards to the ACTUAL weight of foodstuffs that you are buying then you are not alone.
I recently had the dubious pleasure of checking two brands claimed weight for their 800 gram frozen calamari rings products.
I used my ordinary kitchen scale and weighed both before defrosting and then after defrosting and rinsing to remove the ‘protective glaze’.
And the results:
- One weighed 665 grams – SPAR
- The other weighed 620 grams – Breco
I reached out to Breco and the reply said; “All products are weighed before adding the glaze to ensure the weight stipulated on the packaging is not misleading. Furthermore all Breco products on the market are first tested by our regulators for weight, and other physical attributes as well as chemical & microbiological specifications, not even once have they picked up a discrepancy with the weight for this particular product. In future you can deglaze by putting the product under cold running water for about 30 seconds or until all visible ice is removed, dry & then weigh again. I guarantee you the weight will be as per the packaging.”
Which product do you think I trust better now?
Latest posts by Alan Straton (see all)
- Surf the Crest (Safely) with a ‘Top Secret’ Electric Cruising Catamaran - 17 June 2019
- New career paths carved out for youth - 17 June 2019
- Geared up to Meet Growing International Demand - 17 June 2019
- Leading the way in youth development - 17 June 2019
- Atmospheric water generator produces up to 900 litres of water per day - 16 June 2019