After graduating from high school in 2012 two friends – Laurin Hahn and Jona Christians – embarked on an ambitious journey to develop an electric vehicle in Jona’s garage.
Within three years, the friends had transformed a conventional vehicle into an electric car with integrated solar modules.
Based on the vision of a sustainable mobility concept, independent of fossil fuels, Sono Motors GmbH was founded in 2016 by Laurin Hahn, Jona Christians and Navina Pernsteiner.
A successful crowdfunding campaign saw this small team of enthusiasts take only one year to develop the first prototype of the Sion, which was presented to the public in July 2017. The concept of the vehicle is pioneering: The Sion will be the first series produced electric vehicle able to also charge its battery via solar panels that will be offering integrated ride, car and power sharing services.
At the time of writing 9 278 vehicles had been preordered ahead of the expected first delivery date at the end of 2019.
Sporting a 35 kWh lithium ion battery the Sion has a predicted range of 250 kilometers. Buyers will be able to rent, lease or buy the battery outright.
The roof, bonnet and large parts of the outer shell of the body are equipped with highly efficient monocrystalline silicon cells (efficient in diffuse light) which are protected by a layer of poly-carbonate. The total area of the 330 photovoltaic modules is 7.5 m2 with an announced efficiency of 24%. The maximum total power output is 1208 Wp, which means that the daily range gained in Central Europe is at a maximum of 30 km a day under favorable conditions (sunshine) and on average over a whole year about 10 km a day.
Other than the integrated Solar Panels there some other innovative features:
- Tow Bar: With a towing capacity of approximately 750 kg, it’s a breeze to tow smaller trailers. The 120 kW motor and single-speed transmission guarantee a good drive, even when the surface is uneven.
- Sono have integrated a special Icelandic Moss moss into the dashboard for the breSono air-filtration system. It uses electrostatic gravitation to filter up to 20 percent of particulate matter out of the air, while providing positive effects for the temperature and humidity inside the Sion.
- Thanks to the bidirectional charging technology, the Sion can draw and store energy and, moreover, share it too. A regular, household electrical plug (SchuKo) can be used to power all common electronic devices up to 3.7 kW. The Sion can deliver even more power when using a Type 2 plug. You will then be able to power other electric cars and heavy duty devices with up to 11 kW. Combined with viSono, the Sion can be your power plant on wheels.
- Sono have publicly published their workshop handbook, to make it possible to establish an extensive service network while keeping costs low for buyers.
- The goSono app brings together three sharing concepts in a single car: powerSharing, rideSharing, and carSharing. You can use your smartphone to offer other people electricity, a ride, or your Sion.
In 2016 Sono raised over €820,000 through a crowdfunding campaign.
In 2017 additional funding for the project came mainly from a worldwide crowdinvesting campaign in which supporters were offered two possible options: Stock in Sono Motors GmbH through Seedrs and fixed-interest loans over wiwin. Through this, Sono raised almost €2.3 million.
It is not clear exactly how much has been raised from preorder buyers (9 728 at the time of writing) who can choose the amount that they would like to put down as a deposit – €500, €2000, €8000 or €1600.
The Sono is priced at €16000 EXCLUDING the battery which, in February 2019, Sono expected to cost €9500.
You can help the quiet revolution along by installing an EV Charging station outside your Guest House, Hotel, Coffee Shop, Restaurant, Shopping Centre or in your forecourt. Contact Straton Electrical for EV Charging Station options.
Tell MyPE your sentiments around Electric Vehicles:
Latest posts by Alan Straton (see all)
- The Top Table - 16 August 2019
- 2 deceased in tragic boating accident - 16 August 2019
- OUTA plans to challenge the AARTO Amendment Act - 16 August 2019
- 10 Out of 11 Isuzu Southern Kings Games to be played at NMB Stadium - 16 August 2019
- The scene from which the Team Sailing League will kick off on 14 September 2019 - 16 August 2019