Well some of them go and ask their First Mates to marry them!
One of the Algoa Bay Yacht Club‘s long standing members, Graham Wentworth, who basically grew up and learned to sail at the club in Port Elizabeth is attending the ABYC Week Regatta taking place from 1 to 5 May 2014.
Now Graham was ragged a bit – mainly by sailing wives I believe – around the teak reef last night about his tardiness in popping the question to long term First Mate, Marian Galloway.
After the skippers meeting this morning, Tony Bailes asked the assembled sailors to please sit tight whilst we waited for; “Captain Jack Sparrow from Slumtown Express to make his appearance to make an announcement of great import!”
Calling Marian up, Graham went down on one knee and popped the question – there was a collective sigh of anticipation as his beloved paused whilst she contemplated her answer……. which was Yes – to the great delight of the sailors witnessing the occasion.
Now – was that a bit of a tear I saw in your eye, Graham?
ABYC Week continues on Saturday and Sunday – with only one race sailed in the windless conditions, competitors are waiting for Port Elizabeth’s famed wind to make an appearance.
Submit your favourite Port Elizabeth, Uitenhage and Despatch videos for consideration for publication on MyPE by filling in the form below:
Latest posts by Port Elizabethan (see all)
- Muhammad Kizito: It was a bittersweet victory – Port Elizabeth Business News - 24 August 2019
- ‘Only more to come from Damons’ – Port Elizabeth in the News - 24 August 2019
- All the Friday night winners announced! – Port Elizabeth in the News - 24 August 2019
- HP Business Inkjet 2800 printer – Port Elizabeth Business News - 23 August 2019
- Air Mauritius partners with SA to launch pilot academy – Port Elizabeth in the News - 23 August 2019