The vote above is NOT an official voting form for the process.
The city of Port Elizabeth, capital of the Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality, is up for renaming as a means of historical redress.
This is the decision undertaken by both the Eastern Cape Department of Sport, Recreation, Arts and Culture (DSRAC) and the Eastern Cape Provincial Geographical Names Committee (ECPGNC).
Public hearings concerning Port Elizabeth’s proposed name changes began on Tuesday. The renaming process extends beyond just the city and includes a proposal to retitle Port Elizabeth International Airport and the nearby town of Uitenhage.
According to the renaming committee’s spokesperson, Andile Nduna, Port Elizabeth locals will be afforded the opportunity to vote for one of the following names – objections to the proposed name changes will also be taken into account.
If you want to comment on this issue contact the Secretariat Head for the East Cape Geographical Name Change public hearings, Mark Mandita: Mark.firstname.lastname@example.org OR 063 695 1255
Port Elizabeth may soon be known as:
- Nelson Mandela City
- OR Port Elizabeth if the voters above have their way!
Nduna explained that the current public hearings process was a way to engage locals on cultural issues, reaffirming that all proposed names were intricately connected to Port Elizabeth and would better reflect the city’s indigenous heritage.
Latest posts by Alan Straton (see all)
- Bye, Bye Tank Farm - 21 February 2019
- Electricity crisis can be laid firmly at the feet of uncaring ANC - 21 February 2019
- South Africa being forced to pay a never-ending ransom to Eskom - 21 February 2019
- Leinster Rugby Team to Face Southern Kings - 21 February 2019
- Start For Beyers as Isuzu Southern Kings Name Team for Leinster Clash - 21 February 2019