Protests against teacher shortages swept across the northern areas today.
The protests apparently stemmed from a call by the Northern Areas Education Forum, which organised parents to shut down 33 schools in the area last week because of unhappiness with the way the provincial education department is dealing with teacher vacancies.
The forum’s grievances include teacher shortages, alleged misuse of budget allocations and a lack of non-teaching staff at schools.
YouTube videos from the protest action appear below.
Iviwe Poti on a stand-off between police and residents in PE:
Northern Areas Burning:
Protest action against teacher shortage in PE turned violent:
Northern areas protest heats up:
Latest posts by Alan Straton (see all)
- Locally Yours Market appreciate fathers for the month of June - 23 May 2019
- SA ports to offer in-water hull cleaning - 23 May 2019
- It’s all about the Kuier - 23 May 2019
- Port Elizabeth Boasts First SA port to achieve ISO 45001 certification - 23 May 2019
- May Slams “Leaders” - 22 May 2019