Protests against teacher shortages swept across the northern areas today.
The protests apparently stemmed from a call by the Northern Areas Education Forum, which organised parents to shut down 33 schools in the area last week because of unhappiness with the way the provincial education department is dealing with teacher vacancies.
The forum’s grievances include teacher shortages, alleged misuse of budget allocations and a lack of non-teaching staff at schools.
YouTube videos from the protest action appear below.
Iviwe Poti on a stand-off between police and residents in PE:
Northern Areas Burning:
Protest action against teacher shortage in PE turned violent:
Northern areas protest heats up:
Latest posts by Alan Straton (see all)
- Ulster will meet this Isuzu Southern Kings Team - 22 March 2019
- Links to ALL 48 Parties contesting the 2019 South African Elections - 21 March 2019
- #FightRacism on Human Rights Day and Every Other Day - 21 March 2019
- R70.9 million committed to support black-owned companies - 20 March 2019
- Give Your Home a Bit of Hygge - 20 March 2019