Steven Sykes played (as opposed to celebrated with a victory) his 100th Super Rugby game this morning in the Southern Kings jersey against the Hurricanes in Wellington.
The Hurricanes won 42-20 after leading 19-17 at half-time.
The Hurricanes scored five tries through centres Ngani Laumape and Vince Aso, No 8 Blade Thomson, flank Ardie Savea and flyhalf Beauden Barrett. Barrett was on target with four conversions and three penalties for a personal haul of 22 points.
The Kings replied with two tries – the fist in the 31st minute by lock Steven Sykes – a minor celebration for his 100th Super Rugby match – and then by flyhalf Louis Fouche in the 40th minute who received the ball from Shane Gates after a succesful turnover to run and score uncontested under the bar. Fouche also added two conversions and two penalties.
Discipline in the Southern Kings seemed to be lacking with 11 penalties conceded – 5 of which attributable to CJ Velleman.
As seems to be becoming the norm the Hurricanes also scored points in the final minute/s against the Southern Kings as Barret crashed over for a bonus point try. Against the Crusaders, Peter Samu scored in the 79th minute against the Southern Kings. In the 80th minute against the Chiefs, McKenzie slotted a penalty. In the Southern Kings opening match against the Sharks, Ndungane scored in the 78th minute, converted by Pietersen.
Not a good sign for the reset of the season methinks.
The Hurricanes picked up a full-house of five points for their victory to move to the top of the New Zealand and Australasian Conferences.
The Kings left empty-handed and remained pointless in the Africa 2 and South African Conferences.
In next weekend’s Round 6 action the Hurricanes have a bye while the Kings will welcome the Sunwolves to Port Elizabeth on Saturday, April 2 (kick-off at 17:05).
- Hurricanes 42 (19): Tries – Ngani Laumape, Ardie Savea, Blade Thomson, Vince Aso, Beauden Barrett; Conversions – Beauden Barrett (4), Penalties – Beauden Barrett (3)
- Southern Kings 20 (17): Tries – Steven Sykes, Louis Fouche; Conversions – Louis Fouche (2); Penalties – Louis Fouche (2)
- Hurricanes: 15 James Marshall, 14 Cory Jane, 13 Willis Halaholo, 12 Ngani Laumape, 11 Jason Woodward, 10 Beauden Barrett, 9 TJ Perenara, 8 Blade Thomson, 7 Ardie Savea, 6 Vaea Fifita, 5 Mark Abbott, 4 Michael Fatialofa, 3 Jeff Toomaga-Allen, 2 Dane Coles (captain), 1 Chris Eves
- Substitutes: 16 Ricky Riccitelli, 17 Loni Uhila, 18 Ben May, 19 Geoff Cridge, 20 Callum Gibbins, 21 Te Toiroa Tahuriorangi, 22 Vince Aso, 23 Matt Proctor
- Kings: 15 Jurgen Visser, 14 Luzuko Vulindlu, 13 Stefan Watermeyer, 12 Shane Gates, 11 Malcolm Jaer, 10 Louis Fouche, 9 Ntando Kebe, 8 Jacques Engelbrecht, 7 Stefan Willemse, 6 CJ Velleman, 5 JC Astle, 4 Steven Sykes (captain), 3 Jacobie Adriaanse, 2 Edgar Marutlulle, 1 Sti Sithole
- Substitutes: 16 Martin Bezuidenhoudt, 17 Justin Ackerman, 18 Tom Botha, 19 Schalk Oelofse, 20 Chris Cloete, 21 Kevin Luiters, 22 Elgar Watts, 23 JP Du Plessis
Latest posts by Alan Straton (see all)
- Southern Kings Team to Play Zebre - 22 September 2017
- Zebre make four changes for Southern Kings clash - 22 September 2017
- August – A Good Month for Exports - 22 September 2017
- New inductive charging system adds comfort and convenience - 22 September 2017
- Repo rate remains unchanged - 21 September 2017