On 12 November 2016, British High Commissioner Dame Judith Macgregor travelled to Maseru in Lesotho to celebrate and congratulate the Basotho people on their 50 years of independence. Her Majesty Queen Masenate Mohato Seeiso accompanied by Basotho officials, 45 World War Two veterans, the Diplomatic corps and other dignitaries participated in laying wreaths at Mokoanyane Square on Sunday the 13th.
The Remembrance Day event was followed by a lunch at the Royal palace where Basotho veterans where honoured for their participation in the Second World War. A life size Spitfire replica was also given to Lesotho by the Spitfire Heritage Trust. This was a gesture of thanks to the Basotho for the donation of 24 similar aircrafts gifted to Great Britain’s 72nd squadron as support during the war.
In a press conference held on the same day, the High Commissioner, together with representatives from Letseng Diamonds, and the Sentebale and Durham Link charity organisations, engaged with media on Lesotho-UK opportunities and partnerships between the UK and Lesotho in support of the development of the Basotho people.
Concluding the press conference Dame Judith Macgregor said: There has long been a strong link between the Kingdom of Lesotho and Great Britain that cuts across development and education, examples of ongoing programmes include Chevening Scholarships and the 2016 Queen’s Young Leader winner, Maletsabisa Molapo. The UK and the Kingdom of Lesotho continue to enjoy rich links between people, institutions and communities. The British government works to continue that friendship and to support Lesotho’s development towards a stable, secure and prosperous future.
Distributed by APO on behalf of British High Commission Pretoria.
Latest posts by Port Elizabethan (see all)
- All the Friday night winners announced! – Port Elizabeth in the News - 24 August 2019
- HP Business Inkjet 2800 printer – Port Elizabeth Business News - 23 August 2019
- Air Mauritius partners with SA to launch pilot academy – Port Elizabeth in the News - 23 August 2019
- Shots fired following armed robbery at House and Home warehouse in Port Elizabeth – Port Elizabeth Business News - 23 August 2019
- Shots fired following armed robbery at House and Home warehouse in Port Elizabeth – Port Elizabeth in the News - 23 August 2019