The municipality informed Uitenhage consumers last night that due to a pipe burst their water supply had been disrupted saying; “It is with regret that we need to inform consumers in Uitenhage that one of the main water supply pipelines supplying the town burst this morning.”
The pipeline has been isolated but repair teams are finding it difficult to access the site due to its location, steep inclines and inclement weather.
If all goes well, the pipe should be repaired this afternoon and the supply restored later in the evening.
The recent warm weather resulted in an abnormally high water demand and reservoirs were unable to recover before the pipe burst occurred. As a result, certain higher lying suburbs are already without water and more areas will be affected by this evening. The only areas which should not be affected are the Central Business District, Industrial Areas and most of the Western Suburbs.
All available water tankers are being mobilised and will be deployed at strategic locations.
Latest posts by Alan Straton (see all)
- State of Makhanda: joint stakeholder statement - 23 May 2019
- Repo rate unchanged - 23 May 2019
- Why B2B cheque payments are declining - 23 May 2019
- Comedy act will add spice to Humewood Golf Festival - 23 May 2019
- The proposed arena for The Ocean Race 2021 in NMB - 23 May 2019