The Democratic Alliance in the Eastern Cape is saddened to hear about the sudden, unforeseen passing of amaXhosa king, Mpendulo Zwelonke Sigcawu, and would like to extend our heartfelt condolences to his family, loved ones and the Xhosa nation.
King Zwelonke Sigcawu had been king of the amaXhosa since the death of his father, King Xolilizwe Sigcawu, in 2005, and was declared the legitimate king of all amaXhosa in 2010. He was sworn in as king of the amaXhosa nation in Nqadu Great Place in the Eastern Cape in 2015, the first coronation of an amaXhosa king in 50 years.
King Sigcawu worked tirelessly towards improving the lives of his people through the establishment of the King Zwelonke Legacy Projects. King Sigcawu was committed to nation building, uplifting the poor and marginalised rural communities of the Eastern Cape and worked towards eradicating poverty and empowering people with skills. He had focused his work in the sectors of education, health, agriculture, heritage and tourism .
He will forever remain in our thoughts and memories for his contribution in building a united community.
Our thoughts and prayers are with his family, friends as well as the Xhosa Nation.
Lala ngoxolo mntan’omgquba!
DA Eastern Cape Provincial Leader
Latest posts by Port Elizabethan (see all)
- Before the start – Team Sailing League Regatta - 6 December 2019
- Families living in classrooms for 18 years to be relocated – News from GroundUp - 6 December 2019
- Manufacturers join forces for sector development – Port Elizabeth Business News - 6 December 2019
- Why you need to holiday in PE this festive season – Port Elizabeth in the News - 6 December 2019
- Uitenhage News: Hamsters. Dwarf Hamsters for R 50 each. Uitenhage - 6 December 2019