The Toyota Cheetahs scored a hard-earned 34-20 win over the Southern Kings on Saturday in Bloemfontein to return to winning ways after a tough, frustrating three weeks overseas.
Raymond Rhule, Uzair Cassiem, Michael van der Spuy and Segeal Petersen each dotted down a try for the home side while JP du Plessis and Lukhanyo Am scored for the visitors. The Kings trailed 17-6 at the break and are yet to beat a South African side in the competition, while the Bloemfontein side won for the first time over a local rival.
The home side led 17-6 at halftime and 27-6 at one stage, but the Kings staged a determined effort in the second half to deny the hosts a vital try bonus-point.
- Toyota Cheetahs 34 – Tries: Raymond Rhule, Uzair Cassiem, Michael van der Spuy, Segeal Petersen; Conversions: Fred Zeilinga 4; Penalties: Fred Zeilinga 2.
- Southern Kings 20 – Tries: JP du Plessis, Lukhanyo Am; Conversions: Elgar Watts, Louis Fouche; Penalties: Elgar Watts 2.
Latest posts by Alan Straton (see all)
- Standard Bank IRONMAN 70.3 South Africa Entries Open - 21 May 2019
- Traditional welcome for Anna of The Ocean Race technical team - 21 May 2019
- Working on the pitch - 21 May 2019
- Is your business covered for loss of income? - 20 May 2019
- Stadium ‘sails’ - 20 May 2019