The DA condemns the torching of three schools in the OR Tambo District this week. We call for calm before all three situations escalate.
We sympathise with protesting learners in their pursuit to have the school scrap one of its policies that sees parents paying R250 monthly for School Governing Body (SGB) members. The learners are also protesting for the ability to participate in all sporting activities in the district and at other levels.
We however do not believe that violence, and denying other learners the opportunity to quality education that will improve their lives is the solution to having their demands met.
The DA has a vision of well-resourced schools where no learner is denied the opportunity to adequate learning resources, and Eastern Cape schools are far from this vision.
We urge the MEC of education in the Eastern Cape, Mandla Makupula, to sit down with the Chairperson of the SGB, Mandla Jali, to try and resolve these matters.
Veliswa Mvenya MPL
Latest posts by Port Elizabethan (see all)
- Nelson Mandela Bay Giants skipper backing team to keep delivering the goods – Port Elizabeth in the News - 23 November 2019
- More train stations vandalised after jobs threatened – News from GroundUp - 22 November 2019
- Decision on next-gen Isuzu bakkie to be made soon – Port Elizabeth Business News - 22 November 2019
- WATCH: Kolisi vows to make a change – Port Elizabeth in the News - 22 November 2019
- JBay Surfer Matt McGillivray Edges Closer To Championship Tour Qualification – MyPR.co.za - 22 November 2019