Top South African triathlete, Michael Lord (Jeep Team) showed his class at the 2017 Banhoek Duo Challenge, successfully defending his title to claim his fourth consecutive title win.
The Banhoek Conservancy was established in 2013 by a group of farmers in an attempt to protect the environment and to uplift the community. The conservancy generates an income by providing well-designed, permanently marked, off-road tracks for trail running and MTB.
Lord won the 37.5km Duo Challenge, a 2.5km trail run, 25km MTB and a final 10km trail run, through the scenic Banhoek Conservancy, just outside of Stellenbosch, in 02:06:00, five minutes ahead of second-placed Matthew Richard Daneel. Coming home in third was Gary Thomas in a time of 02:15:20.
In the women’s race, Delmence Niland finished first in a time of 02:17:06; Marguerite van Niekerk finished second in 02:42:4, and rounding off the podium was Marleen Lourens in 02:45:35.
Results – Duo Challenge Long
1. Michael Lord 02:06:00
2. Matthew Richard Daneel 02:11:05
3. Gary Thomas 02:15:20
1. Delmence Niland 02:17:06
2. Marguerite van Niekerk 02:42:43
3. Marleen Lourens 02:45:35
OTHER JEEP TEAM NEWS
MTB – Trans Baviaans MTB Race
This past weekend saw mountain biker Pierre Smith (Jeep Team) and mixed partner, Mariske Mclean, race the one of the toughest MTB races of the year, the epic 24-hour, 230km Trans Baviaans mountain bike marathon.
The 24hr, single-stage race from Willowmore in the Eastern Cape Karoo to Jeffreys Bay covers some 230km through the Baviaanskloof Wilderness Area, part of the Cape Floral Region World Heritage Site.
Labelled as the ‘longest and toughest single-stage team MTB event’ in the world, the route, through spectacular scenery and rugged mountain ranges, was unmarked, and with a late start, the over 1000 riders entered, are forced to endure night-time riding – a true test of orientation skills, character and endurance.
Says Smith following the race, “The route was very dry and rough, but we managed to finish 5th Mixed Team overall in a time of 11h29m. It was a tough but very special journey.”
Results – Trans Baviaans MTB
Top 5 Mixed Team
1. Neill Ungerer/Yolande De Villiers (Ultimate Cycling Knysna) 08:58:00
2. Christo Roos/Tanya Kirstein (Enduroplanet) 10:24:52
3. Peter Stopforth/Ischen Stopforth (2Stop) 10:36:00
4. Tania Visser/Werner Strauss (Team-581) 11:02:00
5. Pierre Smith/Mariske McLean (Jeep – UR Cycling) 11:29:32
Source: Port Elizabeth – MyPR.
Latest posts by Port Elizabethan (see all)
- Southern Kings played a hand in the careers of some World Cup-winning Springboks – Port Elizabeth in the News - 13 November 2019
- Uitenhage News: Open manhole is an accident waiting to happen - 13 November 2019
- Recognise this guy, Bruce? - 13 November 2019
- Smile John! – Team Sailing League Regatta - 13 November 2019
- Pitso Mosimane says he is not losing any sleep over Kaizer Chiefs – Port Elizabeth Business News - 13 November 2019