Bird Island in Algoa Bay in South Africa is home to the worlds largest remaining colony of Cape Gannets. But, the colony is also facing the consequences of climate change as increasing temperatures and unseasonal rains places the breeding birds at risk. Nests and young become flooded and standing water increases the risks of the gannets getting avian malaria and avian cholera. We can no longer deny that climate change is happening and as it increasingly impacts on nature, so too will it negatively impact on us!
The video below is from an overnight trip to Bird Island MyPE took in 2014:
Latest posts by Alan Straton (see all)
- Swimming Gold for Ashton Volkwyn - 21 March 2018
- Southern Kings have a Top Performer - 21 March 2018
- Veeplaas Female Arrested with R100K of Stolen Goods - 21 March 2018
- Heads Up MBDA – What if gentrification was about healing communities instead of displacing them? - 21 March 2018
- Team: Southern Kings vs Benetton Rugby - 21 March 2018