Bird Island in Algoa Bay in South Africa is home to the worlds largest remaining colony of Cape Gannets. But, the colony is also facing the consequences of climate change as increasing temperatures and unseasonal rains places the breeding birds at risk. Nests and young become flooded and standing water increases the risks of the gannets getting avian malaria and avian cholera. We can no longer deny that climate change is happening and as it increasingly impacts on nature, so too will it negatively impact on us!
The video below is from an overnight trip to Bird Island MyPE took in 2014:
Latest posts by Alan Straton (see all)
- Rise Against Hunger - 23 July 2018
- A Whale of a Tail - 23 July 2018
- Three arrested for possession of fire arms and hijacked vehicle - 22 July 2018
- Top solar car teams to pass through Port Elizabeth - 22 July 2018
- Day and night roadworks on the R75 between Port Elizabeth and Despatch - 22 July 2018