Bird Island in Algoa Bay in South Africa is home to the worlds largest remaining colony of Cape Gannets. But, the colony is also facing the consequences of climate change as increasing temperatures and unseasonal rains places the breeding birds at risk. Nests and young become flooded and standing water increases the risks of the gannets getting avian malaria and avian cholera. We can no longer deny that climate change is happening and as it increasingly impacts on nature, so too will it negatively impact on us!
The video below is from an overnight trip to Bird Island MyPE took in 2014:
Latest posts by Alan Straton (see all)
- Three day-old Baby Girl found abandoned in Kwadwesi - 18 October 2017
- Our oceans are under attack - 18 October 2017
- New Additions to Southern Kings Pro14 Squad - 18 October 2017
- Shaun Uys honoured in CEO Today Africa Awards - 18 October 2017
- Business Chamber challenges 2018/19 electricity tariffs - 18 October 2017