Bird Island in Algoa Bay in South Africa is home to the worlds largest remaining colony of Cape Gannets. But, the colony is also facing the consequences of climate change as increasing temperatures and unseasonal rains places the breeding birds at risk. Nests and young become flooded and standing water increases the risks of the gannets getting avian malaria and avian cholera. We can no longer deny that climate change is happening and as it increasingly impacts on nature, so too will it negatively impact on us!
The video below is from an overnight trip to Bird Island MyPE took in 2014:
Latest posts by Alan Straton (see all)
- 5.23% Eskom increase a bittersweet victory - 16 December 2017
- Business Chamber welcomes Nersa decision - 16 December 2017
- Transgivers generate toys for joy this Christmas - 16 December 2017
- Use less than 40 Kilolitres per month or else… - 16 December 2017
- Feya Faku heads home with top Swiss Drummer Dominic Egli and Plurism - 15 December 2017