Wasteful expenditure in the Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality has run into millions of rands since the ANC/EFF/UDM coalition of corruption took over the administration in August 2018.
The DA recently submitted questions, relating to expenditure that fall within the scope of the NMB Council’s operational efficiency work plan, to the Municipality.
From the feedback received it is clear that NMB is ramping up spending on frivolous and non-service delivery related goods and services.
Amongst others, the responses to the DA’s questions revealed the following:
- Spending on catering for the period 2 October 2018 -13 December 2018 amounted to R475 629. This amount does not include the approximate R240 000 that the new administration spent on catering between 27 August 2018 – 1 October 2018. There was no catering contract in place, so it is quite possible that the catering was procured irregularly;
- Cost of flights for officials for the period August 2018 – December 2018 amounted to R807 637;
- Cost of accommodation for officials for the period August 2018 – December 2018 amounted to more than R1,68 million;
- Car rental expenditure for the period August 2018 – December 2018 amounted to R82 967, and incidental costs (S&T) amounted to a further R153 943;
- Car rental for the Speaker amounted to R65 000. This is excluded from the aforementioned car rental amount, as the Speaker’s vehicle is for day-to-day use. It seems as if the rental for this vehicle amounts to nearly R2 000 per day.
I have written to Executive Mayor, Cllr Mongameli Bobani, and the Mayoral Committee Member for Budget and Treasury, Cllr Mkhuseli Mtsila, and requested they urgently put measures in place to curb wasteful expenditure. If they fail to do so, the Adjustments Budget runs the risk of not being adopted by council next week. (letter attached)
The DA led coalition government showed what was possible to achieve in two short years in government and we remain resolute that only a DA government can fight corruption, create fair access to jobs and speed up basic service delivery in Nelson Mandela Bay.
Retief Odendaal Cllr
Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality
Latest posts by Alan Straton (see all)
- Keep your Eyes peeled for this Brydes Whale in Distress - 24 March 2019
- Father and Son Rescued off Rocks - 24 March 2019
- Brydes Whale in Danger at Riy Banks - 24 March 2019
- Isuzu Southern Kings’ fighting spirit not enough - 24 March 2019
- Cradock 4 Garden of Remembrance - 24 March 2019