This image is from the MyPE Editor’s Flickr Account – offering some topical daily images from a phone smarter than Alan, occasional images from a DSLR and scanned images of Port Elizabeth as he wanders around the Bay pretending to know a lot and sometimes succeeding in making a complete hash of it!
The Market Square and Main Street
Image by awstraton
1858: On the extreme left is the old Market Bell adjoining the Court House in front of St Mary’s Church. the two storey house on the right stood on the present Union Castle Corner. Melvil Du Toit Auctioneer and law agent occupied the rooms upstairs and below was the greengrocer’s shop of Lukadien. Next door was DW Whiley, grocer and general dealer, in Jetty Street. Lower down Main Street on the left is the Congregational or Scotch Church formerly on the site of the present Nedbank Building at the foot of Donkin Street.
This image is randomly selected from an ever growing repository of publicly available images taken in and around Port Elizabeth.
Latest posts by Port Elizabethan (see all)
- Cricket-Warner says Australia on track for T20 World Cup success – Port Elizabeth in the News - 26 February 2020
- Say Sawabuna To South Africa With Special Business Class Fares On South African Airways – Port Elizabeth Business News - 25 February 2020
- Violence in the house can never be condoned in a parliamentary democracy - 25 February 2020
- Smith, Warner to face Cape Town demons – Port Elizabeth in the News - 25 February 2020
- Suspect’s luck runs out due to the tenacity of Beagle Watch Officers – MyPR.co.za - 25 February 2020