This image is from the MyPE Editor’s Flickr Account – offering some topical daily images from a phone smarter than Alan, occasional images from a DSLR and scanned images of Port Elizabeth as he wanders around the Bay pretending to know a lot and sometimes succeeding in making a complete hash of it!
The Market Square and Main Street
Image by awstraton
1858: On the extreme left is the old Market Bell adjoining the Court House in front of St Mary’s Church. the two storey house on the right stood on the present Union Castle Corner. Melvil Du Toit Auctioneer and law agent occupied the rooms upstairs and below was the greengrocer’s shop of Lukadien. Next door was DW Whiley, grocer and general dealer, in Jetty Street. Lower down Main Street on the left is the Congregational or Scotch Church formerly on the site of the present Nedbank Building at the foot of Donkin Street.
This image is randomly selected from an ever growing repository of publicly available images taken in and around Port Elizabeth.
Latest posts by Port Elizabethan (see all)
- PE Business News: No military will be deployed in EC as yet to fight gangsterism - 16 July 2019
- 10 iconic spots to take #sharethebay Instapics – Featured Blog - 16 July 2019
- Mthatha News: TREE BRANCH KILLS 10 YEAR-OLD PUPIL! - 16 July 2019
- King Williams Town News: 4 Bedroom House for Sale in Club View - 16 July 2019
- Enoch Mgijima Local Municipality placed under administration - 16 July 2019