Today’s posts from our featured Port Elizabeth Blogger:
The growth of the town and the diverse religious affiliations of the inhabitants were such that increased demands were placed upon St Mary’s Cemetery. The solution was found in the allocation of small pieces of land on the town margins to accommodate the various Christian denominations. In the late 1830’s and 1840’s the Wesleyan Methodists, Roman Catholics and Congregationalists were all granted their own burial grounds to the north-west of the settlement.
Source: Port Elizabeth Daily Photo.
Latest posts by Port Elizabethan (see all)
- Young UFS cricketer in ICU after heart stops beating – Port Elizabeth in the News - 17 November 2019
- Greenmarket Square traders ask government to address refugee situation – News from GroundUp - 16 November 2019
- Road safety awareness rolled out to communities: Port Elizabeth – Port Elizabeth Business News - 16 November 2019
- Industrial Property to Rent in Bethelsdorp – Port Elizabeth in the News - 16 November 2019
- Industrial Property to Rent in Bethelsdorp – Port Elizabeth Business News - 16 November 2019