I confess – this article originally started as a concept for April Fools Day – as a follow up to this recent article on MyPE: Could THIS be the real reason why the Swartkops River is so polluted? – but the more I looked at that choked Swartkops River Mouth the more I thought that the key to unlocking waterfront living AND ensuring that healing cleaning salt water can range far up the Swartkops River is to unchoke the Swartkops River mouth.
Aerial shots show that the road along the coast from just past Algorax and the Sewage works has contributed to choking the river’s natural flow.
So what we need is a Golden Gate type bridge which frees up the entire river mouth from Algorax to Bluewater Bay/Amsterdamhoek.
The eventual freeing of the river mouth will open up possibilities for our Marine Economy – maybe someone with the right vision will be able to tap into Operation Phakisa with this idea? I am seeing a renewed interest in waterfront living, a marina or two for river boats, yachts and ocean going vessels, an iconic structure that will bring eyes onto Nelson Mandela Bay and money spent on properly respecting our environment.
So – how do we swing this into action? Who has the skills to champion and investigate?
Latest posts by Alan Straton (see all)
- Paul Gardiner says; “It is Time” - 16 July 2019
- MonsterJam Poker Tour - 16 July 2019
- Port Elizabeth brings its best to the 2019 ENGEN Pitch & Polish event - 15 July 2019
- Implementing Liquefied Natural Gas with Coega as the Hub - 15 July 2019
- Leopard relocation dispute – Buffalo Kloof Private Game Reserve’s response - 15 July 2019