Port Elizabeth: The over exploitation of abalone from the ocean poses a serious threat to the extinction of this mollusc and the protection of this species from illegal poachers rest on the duty of the SAPS.
On Tuesday, 10 October at about 18:45, the Port Elizabeth Flying Squad with the assistance of the K9 unit and Anti-poaching team acted swiftly to information received about illegal abalone poaching at Noordhoek.
A stakeout was conducted and movement was detected. Suspects were seen loading bags into a vehicle and drive away. Police followed the vehicle and succeeded in stopping it. The vehicle was searched and five bags totalling 555 units of abalone was found on the back seat of vehicle. Three suspects were arrested and detained for illegal possession of abalone.
The estimated value of the abalone is R30 000-00. The vehicle was also impounded.
Latest posts by Alan Straton (see all)
- Search underway for more Ngcobo cop killers - 25 February 2018
- Just before the start of the Chippa United vs Pirates game in the Absa PSL - 25 February 2018
- What a way to spend a Sunday - 25 February 2018
- You’ve changed my life. You made my dreams into reality. - 25 February 2018
- Kani Celebration: The Revolution Will not be Televised, The Revolution Will be Live - 24 February 2018