The source of the 250 kilometre long Sundays River is in the Sneeuberge (the highest mountain range in the former Cape Province) near Nieu-Bethesda. The river then flows in a general South/Southeasterly direction, passing the town of Graaff-Reinet in the Karoo before winding its way through the Zuurberg Mountains and then past Kirkwood and Addo in the fertile Sundays River Valley. It empties into the Indian Ocean at Algoa Bay after running through the village of Colchester, 40 km east of the city of Port Elizabeth.
Sundays River Mouth and the beach that accompanies it are awesome reflections of the beauty of the Eastern Cape. The river itself is spectacular, and the mouth’s waters are calm and warm; ideal for swimming, fishing or just cooling one’s feet.
The Sundays River Mouth area of Colchester is situated on the southern boundary of the world-renowned Addo Elephant National Park.
The beach boasts some of the highest dunes in the country and remains relatively untouched. The hot white sand and cool river waters are just perfect, whether you are looking to have a family day in the water, a romantic picnic for two, or a sundowner after a long day.
The double-decker Sundays River Ferry is the ideal way to experience the river, and promises awesome views and a few impressive bird sightings.
Hop onto the Sundays River Ferry to iscover the secrets of the beautiful Sundays River, bordering the Addo Elephant National Park. Take a 2,5 hour river cruise on the SUNDAYS RIVER FERRY and explore the world renowned Alexandria/Colchester dune fields, or, discover the beautiful scenery and plentiful birdlife up stream. During and/or after the cruise you could enjoy a meal and drinks, either on the banks of the river or while you’re cruising.
Enjoy the adventure of extended river cruises, party cruises, safaris cruises, booze cruises and sunset cruises. Special private party and work function cruises are also available. (041 468 0140)
The SUNDAYS RIVER FERRY river cruises and safaris is only a 40 km drive from Port Elizabeth.
Addo Sand Sledding – experience Sand Sledding just outside Port Elizabeth. Sand Sledding is Sand Boarding with a difference!
Sand Sledding is the best way to explore and experience some of the highest, as well as one of the worlds largest, coastal dune field systems in the world. These Magnificent dunes, known as the Alexandria Coastal Dunes, are situated at the mouth of the Sundays River near the Addo Elephant National Park, a mere 40km from Port Elizabeth.
Contact: (041 468 0140)
- Pearson Park Resort (from R275 per night for 2 guests)
- The Nightjar (from R650 per night for 2 guests)
- Sundowner Bed and Breakfast (from R690 per night for 2 guests)
- Addo Gateway Lodge (from R850 per night for 2 guests)
- Nukakamma Guest House (from R1000 per night for 2 guests)
- The River House (from R1000 per night for 2 guests)
- Sunset Rest (from R1000 per night for 2 guests)
- Elephants Footprint Lodge (from R1120 per night for 2 guests)
- Happy Jackal Guest House (from R1150 per night for 2 guests)
- Guest Rooms in Colchester (from R1150 per night for 2 guests)
- Sundays River Mouth Guesthouse (from R1950 per night for 2 guests)
- Hopewell Lodge (from R11000 per night for 2 guests)
CLICK HERE for: Budget PE Accommodation | PE Waterfront
Experience Magnificent Nelson Mandela Bay:
Latest posts by Alan Straton (see all)
- Land at Latimers Again - 23 July 2019
- Really? #funnysigns - 23 July 2019
- Treasury proposes additional R59bn for Eskom - 23 July 2019
- Business of Sport Indaba – #sindaba - 23 July 2019
- Please intervene in Inxuba Yethemba Municipality administration - 23 July 2019