Beach Tennis is heading back to the garden route this December for the second edition of the KIA Summer Slam tour, with tournament organisers expecting 2019 to be even bigger and better than last year’s debut.
So far confirmed to enter are a host of some of the top beach tennis stars including defending champions Alessandro Calbucci (Men’s world number 1) and Michele Cappelletti (Men’s world number 2).
Russian world number 4 Nikita Burmakin and Italian world number 5 Tommaso Giovannini will also be making the trip to South Africa to attend.
With many more of the top 50 ranked players set to compete alongside a healthy contingent of home-grown talent, South African fans are in for a spectacular showcase of the best beach tennis has to offer.
Home support is likely to rally around local stars (Men) Michael de Jongh, Ryan Brookshaw, Jody Claassen, (Women) Helga Jeske, Lynn Kiro and Kyla Yelverton who represented South Africa at the recent World Team Championship in Moscow, finishing in a respectable 15th place finish, and will be looking to make a name for themselves on home turf.
At the heart of the action are the men’s and women’s draw of the ITF $35,000 tournament which is one of the 6 largest prize money events on the tour.
In the two weeks preceding the $35,000 event in Plettenberg Bay, two more prize money events will be held in the Eastern Cape starting with the ITF $3,000 at Kings Beach in Port Elizabeth from 6-8 December and Cape St Francis $3,000 from 10-12 December. From 14-17 December Central Beach in Plettenberg Bay will play host to another ITF $3,000 event as a warm-up tournament to the $35,000 event.
The four events which make up the KIA Summer Slam beach tennis tour will all be ITF ranking tournaments.
The KIA Summer Slam beach tennis tour will take place as follows:
- 6 to 8 December – Port Elizabeth (Kings Beach): $3,000
- 10 to 12 December – Cape St Francis (Cape St. Francs Resort) and St. Francis (Quayside Restaurant): $3,000
- 14 to 17 December – Plettenberg Bay (Central Beach): $3,000
- 18 to 21 December – Plettenberg Bay (Central Beach): $35,000
Latest posts by Alan Straton (see all)
- How to choose the the correct legal status for your business - 21 January 2020
- Tell That to the Victims! - 21 January 2020
- Caution – Rift Valley Fever Often Follows Good Rains - 21 January 2020
- Voice your opinion on the 2020 Budget - 21 January 2020
- Clyde Smithers Comments on the Most Beautiful Road Race - 21 January 2020