Port Elizabeth – A prison warder was raped and kidnapped, allegedly by a child rapist after he escaped from St Albans prison in Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape correctional services said on Thursday.
The 52-year-old woman was off-duty and living on the prison premises, Area Commissioner Mandla Jam said.
Sicelo Tshamlambo allegedly kidnapped, assaulted, and raped her while he was on the run on Monday. He was arrested a few kilometres from the prison that night following a tip-off. He had changed from his orange prison clothes into casual wear and was hitch-hiking towards Rocklands.
He was serving a life sentence for raping a 13-year-old girl in East London in 2007.
Tshamlambo would be transferred to C-Max Prison in Kokstad once his internal disciplinary process had been completed, and would appear in court next week.
Iavan Pijoos, News24
Latest posts by News24Wire (see all)
- Marinda Mills trial date set - 15 March 2016
- MP and official crash into one another - 15 March 2016
- St Albans prison warder kidnapped, raped by escapee - 10 March 2016
- No Witnesses to daylight killing - 19 February 2016
- Port Elizabeth DA councillor guilty of misusing funds - 16 February 2016