The Springboks will head to Bloemfontein for the first time since 2010 and New Zealand will be in action in Cape Town as SA Rugby confirmed the home venues for the 2017 Castle Lager Rugby Championships on Monday.
The first match of the Castle Lager Rugby Championship will take place on Saturday 19 August at the Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium in Port Elizabeth, when Argentina clash with the Boks.
The following week, the Springboks will be in action in Argentina against Los Pumas (Saturday 26 August, in Salta), where after it’s the first bye weekend.
The Boks’ traditional tour to Australasia is in early September for matches against the Wallabies (Saturday, 9 September, NIB Stadium in Perth) and All Blacks (Saturday 16 September, QBE Stadium in Albany).
Although the Springboks have played in Perth before, they have never been in action at NIB Stadium, home ground of the Western Force.
The match in Albany will be the South Africans’ third visit to QBE Stadium after they played two matches in the 2011 Rugby World Cup – against Samoa and Namibia – at this stadium, which is used as secondary home base by the Blues.
A second bye weekend follows the tour before the Springboks head home for their last two encounters, on Saturday 30 September against Australia at the Toyota Stadium in Bloemfontein, and Saturday 7 October against New Zealand at in Cape Town.
The venue in Cape Town is dependent on the outcome of an application for a safety certificate in relation to the first choice venue, DHL Newlands.
This will be the All Blacks’ first visit to the Mother City since 2008 and the 10th time these two teams will clash in a Test in the Western Cape in 89 years, when New Zealand first played in Cape Town.
Springbok Castle Lager Rugby Championship fixtures:
- 19 August – Springboks v Argentina, Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium, Port Elizabeth
- 26 August – Argentina v Springboks, Estadio Padre Ernesto Martearena, Salta
- 9 September – Australia v Springboks, NIB Stadium, Perth
- 16 September – New Zealand v Springboks, QBE Stadium, Albany
- 30 September – Springboks v Australia, Toyota Stadium, Bloemfontein
- 7 October – Springboks v New Zealand, DHL Newlands (TBC), Cape Town
Latest posts by Alan Straton (see all)
- Standard Bank IRONMAN 70.3 South Africa Entries Open - 21 May 2019
- Traditional welcome for Anna of The Ocean Race technical team - 21 May 2019
- Working on the pitch - 21 May 2019
- Is your business covered for loss of income? - 20 May 2019
- Stadium ‘sails’ - 20 May 2019