The speedy arrest of the suspects involved in the murder of Jansenville farmer Owen Charles will give rural communities some hope that the forces of law and order can track down those involved in threatening their safety.
It is a tragedy that this farmer, a DA stalwart, who displayed a lifelong commitment to changing this country for the better, should be killed in this brutal fashion. Yesterday I visited his wife, Janet Charles, to convey our condolences on behalf of the DA.
I have also submitted a question for oral reply for next week’s sitting of the legislature on what step are being taken to improve the safety of rural communities. There has been an upsurge of farm murders in the last few months in the Eastern Cape and the DA believes it is imperative that a specialised rural safety division of the SAPS be established.
Bobby Stevenson, MPL
Related: Farm murders must be put to an end
Latest posts by Port Elizabethan (see all)
- Ruthless England close on victory in third test – Port Elizabeth in the News - 19 January 2020
- Open Letter to Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality Waste Management - 19 January 2020
- Joe Root has youthful England on right track, says Nasser Hussain – Port Elizabeth Business News - 19 January 2020
- Broad bowls Philander in first over LIVE! – Port Elizabeth in the News - 19 January 2020
- Uitenhage News: 23 hours and seven minutes of Anrich Nortje - 19 January 2020