Ready, steady, roll!
Rugby and soccer players from the EP Kings and Chippa United recently took part in the inaugural Spar Wheelchair Wednesday Celebrity Challenge. The event formed part of the Spar Little Ladies Race and served to launch the Wheelchair Wednesday 2015 Campaign.
Players from both sporting codes were pitted against each other in a fun wheelchair race.
The spirited participants had to navigate around and over several obstacles including deceptively challenging rumble strips and an arm-numbing incline leading onto the finishing straight.
The winners of the 3 heats then lined up against Wheelchair Wednesday 2015 Ambassador, Marshall Marsh, and APD Board Member and wheelchair hand-cycle champion, Zolani Runeli, in a final showdown.
Credit must be given to the 3 heat winners for their steely determination but in the end Marshall and Zolani cruised to a one-two finish.
Almost all the sports celebrities acknowledged they had underestimated the physical exertion required to complete the short race.
Thank you to Spar Eastern Cape and our fantastic celebs who ensured the event was a massive success.
Author: Brett Marshall
Latest posts by Port Elizabethan (see all)
- Sexual assault: Nigerian pastor faces retrial in South Africa – Port Elizabeth in the News - 21 October 2019
- Invented Here and Seen Worldwide – Dolos / Dolosse - 21 October 2019
- Sophie and Tammy – Team Sailing League Regatta - 21 October 2019
- World’s Second-Biggest Mohair Industry Restarts as Monopoly Ends – Port Elizabeth in the News - 21 October 2019
- Sometimes the Wheels Come Off! – Featured Blog - 20 October 2019