Ready, steady, roll!
Rugby and soccer players from the EP Kings and Chippa United recently took part in the inaugural Spar Wheelchair Wednesday Celebrity Challenge. The event formed part of the Spar Little Ladies Race and served to launch the Wheelchair Wednesday 2015 Campaign.
Players from both sporting codes were pitted against each other in a fun wheelchair race.
The spirited participants had to navigate around and over several obstacles including deceptively challenging rumble strips and an arm-numbing incline leading onto the finishing straight.
The winners of the 3 heats then lined up against Wheelchair Wednesday 2015 Ambassador, Marshall Marsh, and APD Board Member and wheelchair hand-cycle champion, Zolani Runeli, in a final showdown.
Credit must be given to the 3 heat winners for their steely determination but in the end Marshall and Zolani cruised to a one-two finish.
Almost all the sports celebrities acknowledged they had underestimated the physical exertion required to complete the short race.
Thank you to Spar Eastern Cape and our fantastic celebs who ensured the event was a massive success.
Author: Brett Marshall
Latest posts by Port Elizabethan (see all)
- Bhisho News: WATCH: ZODWA SHOWCASES 1 OF HER 4 WEDDING DRESSES - 15 July 2019
- Uitenhage News: Volkswagen launches Literacy Centres in Eastern Cape - 15 July 2019
- PE Business News: Transnet’s strike impasse at Port of Nqgura has debilitating impact on local economy - 15 July 2019
- JBay Winterfest: Big Wins, Big Upsets at the Corona Open JBay – MyPR.co.za - 15 July 2019
- Mthatha News: GOOD SAMARITANS HELP FAMILY - 15 July 2019