The Southern Kings are gearing up for their trip to Buenos Aires in Argentina where they will take on the Jaguares when the Vodacom Super Rugby competition resumes this weekend.
The team leaves Port Elizabeth for Argentina, via Johannesburg, on Tuesday morning before resuming their preparations in Buenos Aires for the match which will be played at Estadio Jose Amalfitani at 01h05 (SA time) on Saturday, July 1.
Southern Kings head coach Deon Davids named his touring squad of 25 on Monday.
The team sees the return of prop Schalk Ferreira, hooker Michael Willemse and utility back Masixole Banda from various injury layoffs.
Davids is also pleased to have winger Yaw Penxe, who recently represented the SA Under-20 side at the World Rugby Under-20 Championships in Tbilisi, Georgia on their way to claiming the bronze medal, as well as South Africa A representatives – Andisa Ntsila, Chris Cloete, Lionel Cronje and Makazole Mapimpi – who faced the French Barbarians over the past two weeks.
“We are all excited at the prospect of getting back into action after the Vodacom Super Rugby break,” Davids said.
“We have retained more or less the same squad that has been doing duty for us with aplomb in our previous few matches.”
The head coach expressed his excitement at the prospect of continuing the fine form the Southern Kings have shown this season where they have claimed four wins so far in the competition.
Davids added that his side was bracing itself for a tough contest against the Jaguares this weekend.
“It will be a tough match against the Jaguares, as it always is,” he said.
“We are aware of the fact that this is very much the team that has been on international duty for Argentina over the past few weeks in the international window. Gaining momentum and continuity will not be an issue for them.
“While we have not played any rugby together in almost a month, but we have prepared well over the past few weeks and have some of our players who have only just returned from playing international rugby with the SA A team and the SA Under-20 side.”
THE SOUTHERN KINGS TOURING SQUAD FOR ARGENTINA IS:
- Hookers – Martin Bezuidenhout, Kurt Haupt, Michael Willemse
- Props – Schalk Ferreira, Ross Geldenhuys, Chris Heiberg, Mzamo Majola, Dayan van der Westhuizen
- Locks – Irne Herbst, Lubabalo Mtyanda, Wilhelm van der Sluys
- Loose-forwards – Thembelani Bholi, Chris Cloete, Andisa Ntsila, Tyler Paul
- Scrumhalves: Louis Schreuder, Stefan Ungerer
- Flyhalves: Lionel Cronje
- Centres: Berton Klaasen, Luzuko Vulindlu
- Wingers: Makazole Mapimpi, Yaw Penxe
- Utility Backs: Masixole Banda, Malcolm Jaer, Wandile Mjekevu
Latest posts by Alan Straton (see all)
- National recognition for UTS - 14 November 2019
- Appeal to Residents to Reduce Water Consumption to 50L Per Day as Dam goes ‘offline’ - 14 November 2019
- 4 Ways to spot a good rental agent - 14 November 2019
- You are only as good as your last gig - 14 November 2019
- First LNG Hub to be established at Coega - 14 November 2019