2018 sees the second running of the Solar Boat Race around the canals of St Francis.
Organised by Sean Poole the race pitted enthusiastic amateurs from departments at the Nelson Mandela University, some teams from commerce and private entries in a race to see who could complete the furthest distance around the canals in a set time.
Held over the weekend of 17 to 18 November 2018, this year will be the second year this event is held, with the intention of not only raising renewable energy awareness but of also encouraging new and innovative designs for harnessing solar energy.
Entries are still open and anyone is invited to get a team together and start designing your solar boat to compete at the Solar Boat Race.
The aim of the race is to complete as many laps as possible within the 4 hour time period. Course direction and length may vary on race day depending on conditions.
Based on last year’s event the solar boat designs will be as interesting and varied as the boat names which, so far, include:
- The Pysicnator – NMU Physics Department
- Speed Machine – First place in 2017. This is the team to beat.
- WONZO – This is the original GONZO, but in floating form. Can it still keep up? Will it float this year?
- Cruiser – With over 1 year experience in solar boat racing and a 2nd place in the 2017 competition, this is one of the boats to watch.
- Industry 4.0 – They try to organise our industries. Can they organise the solar boat fleet with themselves at the front?
- Thor – Can the man use his home advantage to take the title? Last year he struggled to find the start line.
- The Boss – The big boss. Literally and figuratively.
- Pix hawk – a new entry
- Sonvanger – Drawing from his rally car experience, Gys now turns his sights on a more exhilarating challenge.
- Marine – from a new NMU department comes a new team
Contact Sean Poole at http://solarboatrace.co.za/
Ask Straton Solar nicely if you are looking for Solar Panels and Other Stuff.
Latest posts by Alan Straton (see all)
- ECRDA’s Bumper Loan Year - 11 December 2019
- Eskom - 11 December 2019
- Today we stand in front of a different ruin to Cyril - 10 December 2019
- Tenants Advised to be on the Lookout Against Collection Scams and Illegal Evictions - 10 December 2019
- Just in Time for the Holidays: Live EV Charging Station Map - 10 December 2019