This image is from the MyPE Editor’s Flickr Account – offering some topical daily images from a phone smarter than Alan, occasional images from a DSLR and scanned images of Port Elizabeth as he wanders around the Bay pretending to know a lot and sometimes succeeding in making a complete hash of it!
Sir Frederick Tug
Image by awstraton
Possibly the most famous of tugs to serve the Port of Port Elizabeth in the late 1800’s. Skippered by Captain A.C. Harding the Sir Frederick was involved in lots of salvage work and most famously in the attempt to solve the mystery of the Phantom Ship discovered by Harding and crew sailing along with lights ablaze but not a living soul aboard. After taking the ship under tow the cable snapped and the ship sank.
The Sir Frederick was also involved in the search for the Waratah – a large vessel that disappeared without a single trace off of the east coast.
At the close of her career the Sir Frederick was towed out and scuttled near Thunderbolt Rock.
This image is randomly selected from an ever growing repository of publicly available images taken in and around Port Elizabeth.
Latest posts by Port Elizabethan (see all)
- Covid-19: eThekwini accused of defying ban on evictions – News from GroundUp - 31 March 2020
- A journey for LOVE… – Port Elizabeth Business News - 31 March 2020
- Uitenhage News: PE shelters are potential death traps, homeless complain - 31 March 2020
- How to build your Brand during tough times like Covid-19 – MyPR.co.za - 31 March 2020
- France to put domestic violence victims in hotels as numbers soar under coronavirus lockdown – Lockdown News - 31 March 2020