After trailing 13-7 at the break, the visitors dominated much of the second half, crossing for tries by Francois Kleinhans and Daniel du Preez, plus a penalty by Joe Pietersen, to forge a 24-13 lead with 20 minutes remaining.
However, the Kings never stopped fighting and a brilliant backline move saw centre Ronnie Cooke heading for the corner before a high tackle by Sibusiso Sithole stopped him just short of the tryline. That resulted in a yellow card and a penalty try, and suddenly the Kings were back in it at 24-20 with five minutes remaining.
The Sharks, though, fought their way back into the Kings’ half and had two penalty chances to seal the match, but failed to take them. Finally getting their hands on the ball, the Kings launched a desperate attack from their own tryline, but it came unstuck on the halfway line with the final hooter having already blown.
The Kings made a flying start when an error at the back saw flank Thembelani Bholi take the final pass to open the scoring. Fullback Scott van Breda added the conversion and two penalties as EP opened up a 13-0 lead after 31 minutes.
However, the Sharks scored a crucial try on the stroke of halftime through Pietersen, which he converted from the touchline, and then they upped the intensity of their play in the second half to take control.
The point scorers were:
- EP Kings 20: tries by Thembelani Bholi, penalty try; two penalties and two conversions by Scott van Breda.
- Sharks 24: tries by Joe Pietersen, Francois Kleinhans, Daniel du Preez; a penalty and three conversions by Pietersen.
Latest posts by Alan Straton (see all)
- State of Makhanda: joint stakeholder statement - 23 May 2019
- Repo rate unchanged - 23 May 2019
- Why B2B cheque payments are declining - 23 May 2019
- Comedy act will add spice to Humewood Golf Festival - 23 May 2019
- The proposed arena for The Ocean Race 2021 in NMB - 23 May 2019