An awareness campaign focusing on the rise of the sea level will take centre stage in June, as government gears itself to celebrate National Environment Month.
South Africa will commemorate the campaign under the theme ‘International Year of Small Islands Developing States’ (SIDS) and the slogan is ‘Raise your voice, not the sea level’.
This comes after the UN General Assembly declared 2014 as the International Year of Small Islands Developing States, to give recognition to these prized destinations and to also create awareness with regards to their challenges and successes.
The focus this year is to create a greater understanding of the importance of SIDS and the urgency to help protect the islands in the face of growing risks and vulnerability to natural and environmental disasters, particularly to climate change.
In a statement, the Environmental Affairs Department said that in South Africa, other key events that are celebrated during this month include: World Environment Day on 5 June (WED), World Oceans Day on 08 June (WOD) and World Day to Combat Desertification (WDCD) on 17 June. – SAnews.gov.za
Latest posts by Alan Straton (see all)
- PE policeman rewarded for bravery - 27 January 2020
- Bearing the sweet fruit of perseverance - 27 January 2020
- Coega partners with Free State development agency - 27 January 2020
- Every South African needs to speak out against the NHI - 27 January 2020
- Oversight inspections at NMB tertiary institutions - 27 January 2020