Rieghard Jansen van Rensburg, NSRI Jeffreys Bay station commander, said:
NSRI have conveyed Condolences to family and friends of a man who sadly died while surfing at Jeffreys Bay.
At 12h00, Sunday, 18th March, NSRI Jeffreys Bay duty crew were activated following reports of a surfer appearing to be in difficulty off-shore of Jefferys Bay.
Our NSRI rescue vehicle, NSRI medical crew with an NSRI trainee crew member who is a doctor, Private Care ambulance services, Kouga Fire and Rescue Services and SA Police Services responded.
On arrival on the scene we found family members and bystanders and other surfers had recovered the 87 year old local man from the water who had been surfing, we believe he was surfing with his family members, when he appeared to collapse unconscious in the water.
CPR (Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation) efforts were initiated and after all efforts to resuscitate the man were exhausted sadly he has been declared deceased, believed to be from natural causes.
The body of the man has been taken into the care of family and their funeral services.
NSRI Jeffreys Bay crew are friends of the family and support and comfort has been extended to family.
Latest posts by Alan Straton (see all)
- Who is your money on? Kings or Cheetahs? - 25 April 2018
- Vasco Da Gama Ocean Race Live Tracking - 25 April 2018
- Rhodes Res Names to Change - 24 April 2018
- Open invitation to submit ideas for new City landmark and iconic destination - 24 April 2018
- Prestigious Substantial Prize for PE’s Ubuntu Pathways - 24 April 2018