During the past few days I have been overwhelmed by the warm welcome I have received from people across the rural Eastern Cape.
On Friday I kicked off my tour to the rural Eastern Cape by visiting Port St Johns and assisting 150 young people to register to vote at the local IEC offices.
The unemployment rate amongst the youth is the highest, with national statistics showing 68% between the ages of 15-24 years are unemployed.
A DA government will create fair access to real and long-term jobs and the youth of Port St Johns will vote to make this a reality.
I also attended a community meeting in the Port St Johns Eluxolweni Community Hall and interacted with the people regarding service delivery issues.
On Saturday I embarked on a door-to-door campaign in Chane Village in Mount Frere.
There I inspected another monument to the ANC’s failure in the province when the locals took me to an unfinished housing project.
People are desperate for decent housing and the delivery of basic services such as water, electricity and sanitation.
I followed this by having lunch with the children at the Siyakhana Youth Centre in Mount Frere and then shared a meal with AmaMpondo Chief Phondolwendlovu Faku at the Great Place Mfundisweni in Ntabankulu.
Today I also attended a church service at the GNF Church in Mount Frere.
Throughout my visit I was welcomed with open arms and it was clear that these rural communities are sick of bearing the brunt of the failing ANC’s corruption and lack of capacity to deliver.
Only a DA government can bring change to the rural areas of the province – change that will ensure job creation, speed up the delivery of basic services and build One South Africa for All.
DA EC Premier Candidate
Latest posts by Port Elizabethan (see all)
- Additional power generating units expected to return to service – Eskom – Port Elizabeth in the News - 20 October 2019
- Jim Foot – Team Sailing League Regatta - 20 October 2019
- Uitenhage News: Operation ‘Gijima Tsotsi’ takes charge in Humansdorp and Uitenhage Clusters - 20 October 2019
- 3 Bedroom House for Sale in Perridgevale – Port Elizabeth in the News - 20 October 2019
- Commercial Property On Auction in Greenbushes – Port Elizabeth Business News - 19 October 2019