The DA welcomes Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality’s long overdue decision to suspend Roland Williams, Municipal Director of Communications, and various other officials. The DA has been consistent in pushing NMB Municipality to deal decisively with Williams.
Williams has been dogged by controversy over the years, but has been protected by the ANC throughout, and is clearly not a fit and proper person to represent our Municipality.
Williams oversaw the irregular and illegal awarding of a 2010 World Cup gantries tender, is alleged to have taken an all-expenses paid trip to Paarl, funded entirely by a service provider who now has contracts with NMB and is most recently wrapped up in a dubious telecommunications contract awarded to NMB last year.
This is not the first time Williams has been suspended – he spent a year on suspension in 2012/13, and was paid in full while not doing a stitch of work.
Williams has shown time and time again that he only wishes to serve himself and his cronies, defends the indefensible and uses Municipal communication to achieve ANC ends. The culture of cronyism is the ultimate gate keeper of opportunity and real freedom in Nelson Mandela Bay and Williams epitomises this.
It is outrageous that Williams has been allowed to act with impunity for so long and it is high time that the Council bring him to book. In a fair society, everyone should be equal before the law.
The DA is set on winning Nelson Mandela Bay in next year’s election and will install an accountable, clean government that restores service delivery and improves lives.
Latest posts by Port Elizabethan (see all)
- In Focus: Deon Davids, the Southern Kings Coach – Featured Blog - 18 September 2018
- Grahamstown in the news: Psychiatric hospital gets new chief - 18 September 2018
- PE in the news: Banyana Banyana captain Janine van Wyk says she is blessed to have reached 150 caps - 18 September 2018
- Daniela Ryf Post Race Interview Ironman 70.3 World Championship in Nelson Mandela Bay [video] - 18 September 2018
- Uitenhage in the news: Teen who raped and murdered elderly from Uitenhage to be sentenced - 17 September 2018