Nelson Mandela Bay will be a hive of activity this weekend, particularly the suburb of Summerstrand where the Isuzu Southern Kings will be taking on Irish side, Connacht, in a Guinness PRO14 encounter at Madibaz Stadium on Sunday, November 25. Kick-off is at 15h00.
Earlier on in the day, the metro will also be playing host to the Standard Bank 5150 and FUNTRI triathlon event which will see some road closures in Summerstrand on the day. However, the road closures will only be active from the morning until 12h30 on Sunday – well in advance ahead of the Guinness PRO14 match kick-off at 15h00, therefore not affecting rugby supporters who intend attend the game.
Prior to the roads opening at 12h30, access to the Nelson Mandela University can be gained via Strandfontein Road as Marine Road will be closed.
Full details of the road closures until 12h30 are as follows:
Between Driftsands Road and Marine Drive / Admiralty Way intersection:
- Half road closure: The sea side lane will be closed i.e. vehicles travelling down the side roads to Marine Drive will be able to turn LEFT only onto Marine Drive – travelling direction Summerstrand to CBD / City / M4 – as the land side lane only will be open to traffic.
- There will be a controlled cross-over point into Hobie Beach Car Park at the Shark Rock / Beach Hotel entrance only.
- There will be a controlled cross-over point from 8th Avenue to Something Good / Car Park.
Humewood Residents / Businesses : No parking to sea side lane
Please note that there is NO parking on Saturday night (24th November) and Sunday morning (25th November) to the sea side lane of Beach Road / Marine Drive between Kings Beach and Hobie Beach : should vehicles be parked, they will be towed away by the traffic department.
Summer Seas residents : Managed cross-over to Exit only (cross over into 9th Avenue or turn right only onto Marine Drive). Return can only be after 12h30.
Marine Drive / Admiralty Way intersection to Schoenmakerskop (Sappershoek) :
Full road closure : NO vehicular access.
- Humewood Golf Club : access via NMU.
- Pine Lodge : one-way traffic with radio-controlled access via NMU back gate.
EMERGENCIES ONLY Race Day telephone number : +27 79 266 6263