The rehabilitation of John Tallant Road, an important arterial connecting the hub of Uitenhage and Despatch to the N2, as well as a section of Old Grahamstown Road is underway.
Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality’s Portfolio Chairperson for Infrastructure, Engineering, Electricity and Energy, Cllr Andile Mfunda, said that the completion of Trunk Road 63 (TR 63) between Despatch and Redhouse led to an increase of traffic along TR 63 and John Tallant Road.
“The increase in traffic led to the deterioration of the pavement structure on John Tallant and Grahamstown Roads and the problem was further exacerbated by the high volumes of heavy vehicles using these roads. The construction site has now been handed over to the successful Contractor and road works will commence soon.
“We would like to encourage motorists to exercise extra care as the road works will lead to traffic disruptions and delays may occur from time to time,” Cllr Mfunda added.
The contract for the rehabilitation of these roads is over a 12 months period. The public will be warned prior to planned road closures.
Latest posts by NMB Communications (see all)
- Please heed the call – let there be water for all - 22 March 2019
- Municipality to Accelerate ATTP - 20 March 2019
- Libraries should be the nucleus of communities as centres of knowledge - 15 March 2019
- Cleaning up ahead of 8 May - 12 March 2019
- Delays in Collecting Refuse Blamed on Staff Shortages - 7 March 2019