I will be writing to President Cyril Ramaphosa today to request that he appoints an independent inquiry, headed by a retired judge to be selected by the Chief Justice, to fully investigate the Bosasa scandal, which now involves the President and his family.
President Ramaphosa has publicly committed himself to fighting corruption. In reply to my question in Parliament about Bosasa payments to his son, he said he would take his son to the police station himself if there was evidence of corruption. Now he must show how serious his commitment to fighting corruption really is.
There can’t be double standards. President Ramaphosa has appointed independent inquiries to investigate corruption elsewhere. Now the same standard must apply to him and his family.
He must appoint an independent inquiry to investigate Bosasa’s enormous and likely corrupt influence on the government and the ANC.
This Inquiry should also determine whether the President lied to Parliament when he answered my question in the House about this payment.
The latest admission by the President, that Bosasa donated at least R500 000 to his campaign for the presidency of the ANC, and that his son receives payments for “consulting work” from Bosasa, requires an extensive investigation. Bosasa has already been shown to have paid ANC MPs, Ministers and senior ANC officials. The Bosasa corruption network extends throughout the government and the ANC, and now also to the President and his family.
We need an Inquiry to investigate:
- The full extent of Bosasa’s corrupt influence on the government;
- All payments made by Bosasa to politicians, or their families, trusts or companies;
- The full involvement of the President and his family to this scandal; and
- Any other related issues and payments.
I have already submitted two separate applications in terms of the Promotion of Access to Information Act (PAIA) – one to the Presidency and one to the African Global Group, formerly Bosasa – to gain access to the contract for services rendered by the President’s son, Andile Ramaphosa, to the controversial facilities management company, Bosasa. The President told Parliament that such a contract exists, and that he had personally seen it.
The DA has made it clear that the ANC is irredeemably corrupt. There is no “good” ANC left. State Capture was not a Gupta/Zuma phenomenon. It is a model of corruption practiced across the state and throughout the ANC.
Leader of the Democratic Alliance
Related: Come clean on your Bosasa money, Mr President | Did Ramaphosa tell Porky Pies about African Global (#Bosasa) Payment to Andile? | Inaction on Bosasa corruption speaks louder than words | Criminal charges laid over alleged Bosasa kickbacks | The Mti, Watson, BOSASA Connection | SAPS must lay charges against Linda Mti and prosecution must commence | Hawks to investigate Linda Mti; a great victory for the people of NMB | String of lies exposed as government agencies rally to protect Linda Mti | Linda Mti belongs in jail, not protected by Danny Jordaan.
Latest posts by Port Elizabethan (see all)
- King Williams Town News: Two killed in head-on collision near King William’s Town - 18 March 2019
- PE Business News: Brussels to Port Elizabeth flights - 18 March 2019
- Mthatha News: Fight against stock theft is gaining momentum in the Eastern Cape - 18 March 2019
- Makhanda News: Let’s do for the ECape what we did for the WCape – Mmusi Maimane - 17 March 2019
- Bhisho News: Weather forecast forBhisho, Eastern Cape (South Africa) - 17 March 2019