February has been declared Race Free Month and every week day in February we at MyPE will be combating the subtle racist nuances that hamper our thinking, cloud our judgement, restrict our development and increase the tension in South Africa.
Just what do we as humans need to do to promote INCLUSIVE as opposed to DIVISIVE behaviour?
More often than not it is in times of plenty we see people willing to share and include everyone.
On Monday the University of Witwatersrand removed the words “F**k White People”, written at the entrance of the Oliver Schreiner School of Law building on its main campus.
In a statement released on the Wits website on Monday afternoon, the university‘s senior executive said a small group of students were deliberately spraying offensive graffiti on the walls of the Wits campuses and on T-shirts.
According to Wits who condemned the offensive messages, according to the law the statement did not necessarily incite any harm.
“In this instance, while the messages are certainly hurtful, we have been advised that they may not directly incite harm,” Wits said
One would think that an august learning institution such as Wits would understand that their statement over the ‘level of harm’ was essentially one of obfuscation.
Upon reading that would the normal person say; “Oh OK Wits says that the graffiti will not incite any harm so I will just ignore the feelings of hurt that are inside me when I despair over the naked ugly truth from a seriously misguided intelligent person who attends university!”
Lets face the truth here people:
- Anyone who writes any graffiti on any building without permission is a criminal – that HURTS the owners of the building and the public at large.
- Anyone who writes any graffiti on a building that incites hatred or a crime is criminal – such graffiti hurts far more people and is a manifestation of how we as a country are failing our citizens who feel the need to act out deep seated rage and HURT their fellow man.
Our country needs nerds, jocks, accountants, sportsmen, sailors, academics, politicians, workers, clergy, mothers, fathers, gays, lesbians and a myriad other classifications that we apply to people.
When you wake up in the morning do you think; “I am Coloured/Indian/White/Black person” OR “I am a Doctor/Worker/Lawyer/Accountant/Lazy MyPE Editor/Sailor/Father/Mother”?
If you define yourself in terms of what you are and not your skin colour then you are on the right path. If not may I then suggest that you pop around to my place for a hug – it may be a very intense scary hug followed by a trip to a re-orientation camp with fierce barking dogs and deprivation ……. Or I may surprise you by forgiving you for being what you are, after all there is a place for everyone in this world just don’t expect me to accept or promote your beliefs.
Good will ultimately triumph over evil.
Latest posts by Alan Straton (see all)
- Is Wright Right? - 22 February 2020
- The Types of Skills Leaving South Africa - 22 February 2020
- How to boost your chances of getting a joint bond - 21 February 2020
- Elrigh Louw Back In Starting XV For Isuzu Southern Kings - 21 February 2020
- Humansdorp to march against rising crime and gangsterism - 21 February 2020