The Southern Kings franchise are scheduled to play 16 matches in the Vodacom Super Rugby tournament which runs from 15 February 2013 until the Vodacom Super Rugby Final on 3 August 2013.
Of those 16 matches the Southern Kings will play 8 matches in Port Elizabeth‘s Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium plus one more at a local venue still to be confirmed.
The official average attendance figures at each of the 2012 Super Rugby games reflected 21 807 spectators per match out of a total of 2 725 929 attendees. The average number of attendees at a South Africa game has been pegged at just over 27 500 per game.
If we assume that:
- 20% of those attendees are from out of the Port Elizabeth area (i.e. 5 500),
- the Average Daily Rate of spend per attendee is R2000.00 and
- that attendees spend an average of 2 days in Port Elizabeth
Then we can CONSERVATIVELY say that Super Rugby will inject R22 000 000 of ‘foreign money’ into our local economy per GAME, or R176 Million over 5 months of the season.
If I was a Guest House, Restaurant, Pub or Accommodation owner I would be getting pretty excited.
The Port Elizabeth games in the Southern Kings 2013 Super Rugby Match Schedule:
- Saturday 23 February – Kings v Force, Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium, Port Elizabeth @ 19:10 Local Time
- Saturday 9 March – Kings v Sharks, Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium, Port Elizabeth @ 19:10 Local Time
- Friday 15 March – Kings v Chiefs, Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium, Port Elizabeth @ 19:10 Local Time
- Saturday 20 April – Kings v Bulls, Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium, Port Elizabeth @ 19:10 Local Time
- Saturday 4 May – Kings v Waratahs, Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium, Port Elizabeth @ 19:05 Local Time
- Saturday 11 May – Kings v Highlanders, Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium, Port Elizabeth @ 19:05 Local Time
- Saturday 25 May – Kings v Cheetahs, Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium, Port Elizabeth @ 15:00 Local Time
- Saturday 6 July – Kings v Stormers, Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium, Port Elizabeth @ 17:05 Local Time
Super Rugby is scored as follows:
- 4 points for a win
- 2 points for a draw
- 4 points for a bye
- 1 bonus point for a loss by seven points or less
- 1 bonus point for scoring four or more tries in a match
The Overall Standings classification system:
- Three Conference Winners/Leaders in log points order
- Three Wildcard teams in log points order
- The remaining nine teams in log points order
- When teams are level on log points, they are sorted by number of games won, then overall points difference, then number of tries scored and then overall try difference.