The Southern Kings franchise are scheduled to play 16 matches in the Vodacom Super Rugby tournament which runs from 15 February 2013 until the Vodacom Super Rugby Final on 3 August 2013.
Of those 16 matches the Southern Kings will play 8 matches in Port Elizabeth’s Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium plus one more at a local venue still to be confirmed.
The official average attendance figures at each of the 2012 Super Rugby games reflected 21 807 spectators per match out of a total of 2 725 929 attendees. The average number of attendees at a South Africa game has been pegged at just over 27 500 per game.
If we assume that:
- 20% of those attendees are from out of the Port Elizabeth area (i.e. 5 500),
- the Average Daily Rate of spend per attendee is R2000.00 and
- that attendees spend an average of 2 days in Port Elizabeth
Then we can CONSERVATIVELY say that Super Rugby will inject R22 000 000 of ‘foreign money’ into our local economy per GAME, or R176 Million over 5 months of the season.
If I was a Guest House, Restaurant, Pub or Accommodation owner I would be getting pretty excited.
The Port Elizabeth games in the Southern Kings 2013 Super Rugby Match Schedule:
- Saturday 23 February – Kings v Force, Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium, Port Elizabeth @ 19:10 Local Time
- Saturday 9 March – Kings v Sharks, Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium, Port Elizabeth @ 19:10 Local Time
- Friday 15 March – Kings v Chiefs, Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium, Port Elizabeth @ 19:10 Local Time
- Saturday 20 April – Kings v Bulls, Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium, Port Elizabeth @ 19:10 Local Time
- Saturday 4 May – Kings v Waratahs, Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium, Port Elizabeth @ 19:05 Local Time
- Saturday 11 May – Kings v Highlanders, Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium, Port Elizabeth @ 19:05 Local Time
- Saturday 25 May – Kings v Cheetahs, Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium, Port Elizabeth @ 15:00 Local Time
- Saturday 6 July – Kings v Stormers, Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium, Port Elizabeth @ 17:05 Local Time
Super Rugby is scored as follows:
- 4 points for a win
- 2 points for a draw
- 4 points for a bye
- 1 bonus point for a loss by seven points or less
- 1 bonus point for scoring four or more tries in a match
The Overall Standings classification system:
- Three Conference Winners/Leaders in log points order
- Three Wildcard teams in log points order
- The remaining nine teams in log points order
- When teams are level on log points, they are sorted by number of games won, then overall points difference, then number of tries scored and then overall try difference.
Latest posts by Alan Straton (see all)
- Links to ALL 48 Parties contesting the 2019 South African Elections - 21 March 2019
- #FightRacism on Human Rights Day and Every Other Day - 21 March 2019
- R70.9 million committed to support black-owned companies - 20 March 2019
- Give Your Home a Bit of Hygge - 20 March 2019
- Celebrating entrepreneurial Impact - 20 March 2019