Reports that Eskom could spend R4.2 Billion (R4 320 000 000.00) on diesel between now and December 2019 are….. alarming.
Let’s look at the problem on a micro ecomic level:
Say you are a private house hold with R175 000 to spend on electricity.
You have two choices:
- Spend some of the money on Diesel or Petrol for your generator over the next 4 months and then worry about where your electricity is going to come from next
- Spend all the money on a 5 kw Grid Tie Solar System with Battery Backup. The battery will last you for at least 10 0000 cycles and the panels for at least 20 years.
Some math on a silent 5 kW (6.5 kVA) Diesel Generator:
- Purchase Price: R16 000.00
- Installation: R3 000.00
- At an average per litre price of R14.50 the Diesel Consumed will cost: R12 528.00 *
- Over 720 hours you will need to service the generator 3 times at an assumed cost of R800.00 per service.
* Assume the generator consumes 1.2 litres of diesel per hour on a half load. Assume the Diesel Generator runs for 6 hours a day over 120 days (720 hours)
Total cost: R34 428.00
You will spend less in the short term on a Diesel Generator.
BUT the ‘hidden’ benefits from Solar Panels are:
- Highly reduced electricity bill from the Grid Tie – with a 5kW system at least R2000.00 per month over 240 months for a total saving of R420 000 (not allowing for any increase in the cost of electricity)
- Seamless changeover whenever the power goes down.
Back to Eskom and that R4.2 Billion:
With Eskom’s economies of scale they could conceivably install Grid Tie only Solar at a cost of R15 000 per kW (installed).
That would buy them 288 000 kW’s of solar power to feed into the Grid which represents around 15% of the total required to avoid Stage 2 Load Shedding.
You can help the quiet revolution along by installing an EV Charging station outside your Guest House, Hotel, Coffee Shop, Restaurant, Shopping Centre or in your forecourt. Contact Straton Electrical for EV Charging Station options.
Tell MyPE your sentiments around Electric Vehicles:
Latest posts by Alan Straton (see all)
- 5 December 2019 Loadshedding Menu of Darkness – Stage 2 - 5 December 2019
- The most destructive mayor in Nelson Mandela Bay’s history REMOVED - 5 December 2019
- Happy 14th Birthday - 5 December 2019
- Awakening the spirit of entrepreneurship in the youth - 5 December 2019
- 08207775555 – the WhatsApp number for MannMade Radio - 5 December 2019