His Excellency President Jacob Zuma has congratulated the President of the Islamic Republic of Iran, His Excellency Hassan Rouhani, who has won the Iranian presidential elections held on Friday, 19 May 2017.
The election victory will see President Rouhani serve a second presidential term, having ascended to the office for the first time in 2013.
President Zuma extended his congratulations and best wishes to President Rouhani and the people of the Islamic Republic of Iran.
President Zuma undertook a State Visit to Iran in April 2016, where he held fruitful bilateral talks with President Rouhani and witnessed the signing of several agreements covering the fields of energy resources, finance, trade and industry, water and sanitation, education and research and arts and culture,
South Africa views Iran as a strategic trading partner within the Middle East and Central Asian regions. In the bilateral sphere, South Africa and Iran share a long historical relationship, with Iran having stood with and supported the struggle for liberation in South Africa. South Africa has also stood with Iran in the face of unilaterally imposed sanctions.
President Zuma said South Africa looks forward to working with Iran under President Rouhani to consolidate relations and implement existing agreements.
Distributed by APO on behalf of Republic of South Africa: Department of International Relations and Cooperation.
Latest posts by Port Elizabethan (see all)
- 2020 Is the Perfect Vision – MyPR.co.za - 11 December 2019
- Girl, 5, naked with hands tied, rescued with help of friend who had been stabbed 10 times – Port Elizabeth in the News - 11 December 2019
- Port Elizabeth Beachfront - 11 December 2019
- Wiese to join Spartans for MSL play-offs – Port Elizabeth in the News - 11 December 2019
- Khayelitsha court doesn’t cater properly for rape survivors, report finds – News from GroundUp - 10 December 2019